Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 28 - 337 Days to go

Coalie and I grabbed a quick walk in our neighborhood this evening before date night with Greg.  I was going to use the time to process the day.  It was a busy day of checking on an upcoming rental, meeting with good friends for knitting, doing errands, and working on a real estate deal.  Abby and I also stopped by the nursing home to see mom.  The last 3 times I have been there, she has been a lot more confused and tired.  In the middle of our visit today, she didn't know who Abby was even though she had recognized her in the beginning.  Last night when I was there, she alternated between being happy to see me and grumpy with me.  Today she looked towards the door and said, "She's nothing."  Abby said, "was she talking about me?"   I told her Grandma was just really confused today.  Last night, after my visit with mom, I went to another floor to visit mom's friend Billy.  Billy recognizes me, is so happy to see me, and tells me he loves seeing me.  I told myself I visit Billy because I would be happy if other family members visited mom, but really it's for me.  Seeing Billy raises my vibration.  Seeing Billy helps me keep things in perspective. 

When we first got to the nursing home, we saw another resident hit the social worker.  We heard another resident wailing.  The social worker said the residents feel the gloominess of the day.  When we were leaving, the agitated resident had calmed down and was folding cloth napkins.  What a great idea that was.  It works for the children in our school's kindergarten too.

I have a habit of pushing the elevator button for Billy's floor on my way out.  Today when the doors opened, I saw his daughter visiting him.  In the car, Abby started crying.  She said she missed her birds.

So instead of processing the day quietly, I called my dad.  Thank goodness for my dad.  I talk to him almost daily.  His mind and health are good despite going through cancer and chemo a few years ago.  It helps to talk to him about my mom - he is one of the few people who understands her and has known her for over 50 years.  It helps to talk to him about my day, the children, his dogs, the renovations on his grandparent's house, and pretty much anything else.  He's funny and he's positive.  Talking to my dad raises my vibration.

No comments:

Post a Comment