Thursday, April 7, 2011

A walk with Abby Day 29 - 336 Days to go

Abby and I are home alone and I've been trying for an hour to get her to walk with me.  I'm probably not very convincing since walking is the last thing I want to do today.  I want to go downstairs and watch tv and eat chocolate.  I want to go to bed super early and read my latest Jody Piccoult book.  I want my paperwork and housework magically done so I don't have to think about it.

My cat Albert wants me to feed him.  He is sitting on top of my desk staring at me.  He tries to rub his head against me and my face is covered with hair.  He sheds so much more than the other cats.  He also has the worst teeth.  The vet says the tooth decay is from being abandoned when he was a kitten.  I wonder if the constant shedding is too.  Albert is so lovable and so happy to have a home.  He loves the kids and Coalie best.  He loves me when I feed him.  I bet I could talk him into taking a walk with me if I promised to feed him. 

I had to resort to bribing Abby to walk with me.  I asked her what it would take to go for a walk and she said a massage.  Somehow she also talked me into setting out her clothes for tomorrow (that is a losing proposition as nothing I put out works - it's too cold, too short, too warm...).  The first half of our walk, I took a couple of real estate phone calls.  When I was done with the second call, Abby said, "Mommy, can you please not take any more calls?"  It rang one more time (sorry, Erin), but I let the voicemail pick up.  Instead, I enjoyed listening to Abby talk about her day and point out the little gnome houses she saw in the trees.  We noticed the flowers that matched her jacket and laughed at the mechanical bird sounds coming from a yard.  I had an epiphany about walking with Abby.  I need to be present and fun for her to want to go for a walk. 


I wish I could say I felt a 100 times better after the walk tonight, but my head still hurts and I'm still worried about my mom and I'm still thinking about all the things I have to do (including setting out Abby's clothes).  I do feel better than when I started though and I am happy I had the time with Abby.


Abby in clothes that she set out.


No comments:

Post a Comment