Sunday, April 10, 2011

Day 32 - 333 Days to go

Logan and I got an early walk in.  We walked to the newspaper stand to get the Sunday paper.  Logan dribbled the basketball there and back - about a mile.  It was great spending time with him after his being away.  When we got back to the house, we went for a Sunday drive with Greg and Abby to get donuts.  While eating donuts, we were talking about things to be careful of in the world.  Abby said, "I may only be in 2nd grade, but I know all of this because my brain is as big as the world."

I didn't get a chance to read my paper yet, but I did get to help my friends solve a housing dilemma and I visited mom three times.  Tonight I am really worried about her.  She seems to be going downhill quickly.  Her mouth seems numb so I asked the nurse about the possibility of a stroke.  He said it would be much more pronounced.  He took all of her vitals and everything was good.  Now I'm wondering if it is a drug overdose from one of her medications...I was so worried the first time I went there today that I sent Greg a text.  He was there within minutes.  He is so amazing when I need him.  It reminded me of the time we bailed Grandpa out of the same nursing home when I was pregnant with Abby (9 years ago).  My grandpa was there for a short time and seemed to be getting more depressed daily.  The night before we bailed him out, I had a dream that Logan was drowning.  When I woke, I felt that the dream was about my grandpa so I called my mom and Greg and we met at the nursing home to take him home to Mom's house.  She had been taking care of him for several years before he went to live in an assisted living home.  He overdosed on his dilantin when someone accidentally left the bottle in front of him at the assisted living home.  From there he went to the hospital and then the nursing home.  Grandpa's roommate told us the CNAs that worked at night were being mean to Grandpa - saying things like they needed to change his diaper and being rough with him.  The director at the time gave us a lot of grief for wanting to take him out of the home.  To complicate matters, an uncle of mine called and said he didn't feel like Mom should take him home.  The director followed us through the home and to the car arguing with us about taking him.  She made me sign an AMA (against medical advice) so I signed my uncle's name.  Mom and I felt so strongly about taking him that we didn't worry about what anyone else thought.  Greg was uncomfortable with the drama and wondered if they would call the police.  Even though he was uncomfortable, he totally supported me and helped me get Grandpa in the car.  As soon as we walked through the door at my mom's, Grandpa was smiling and cracking jokes.  Greg knew that we had done the right thing.  I already knew that and I knew how much Greg loved me to help me like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment