Monday, March 21, 2011

Day 12 - 353 Days to go

Abby and I just got back from a walk.  We had a slow, sweet walk to the dollar store to get the graham crackers she has been craving since yesterday.  We held hands and she sang,

"Spring is here said the bumble bee
how do you know said the old oak tree
I just heard a daffodil
singing to the rosemary on the hill."

This morning I went into Abby's room as usual.  I said, "Good morning Sweetie Bird," which reminded us to uncover her two parakeets.  Abby calls her birds her little friends and every morning she says, "good morning birdies."  Unfortunately, Tweety Bird was dead and Lola wouldn't leave his side.  We decided to let Abby stay home from school and she soon noticed Lola fading.  We took her to the vet and she is hanging in there for now.  We were very worried it was carbon monoxide poisoning so Greg came home from work to meet Xcel.  Luckily, no carbon monoxide leaks.  The birds caught some kind of infection that was fast acting.  The vet said it could be from their food or treats...

Today was also Audrey's funeral.  It was a beautiful service.  Her 16 year old granddaughter gave the eulogy.  Audrey cherished her family.  Her granddaughter said she wasn't surprised to hear that she died of an enlarged heart as she was someone that loved so well.  She also loved birds.  I told Abby that I was sure Audrey would look after her Tweety Bird.


2 comments:

  1. Renee-I just stumbled upon your blog from your last Facebook post! How wonderful it is...I just read through all of your posts and found myself smiling, pondering, and just now, swallowing back a few tears! Thanks for sharing this very cool adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kassie. What a nice thing to say from one of my favorite writers!

    ReplyDelete