Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 5 - 360 days to go

Today was one of those days where I felt completely scattered.  I felt like I was chasing the things I had to do all day today.  It probably had something to do with the time change and feeling like I started the morning late.  I did get a long walk in this morning to and from school with Logan (four miles).  Why is it always so easy to think about what I don't accomplish in a day rather than what I do accomplish?

The other overwhelming feeling today was a feeling of restlessness.  One of my job hazards is that I always want to move.   To be honest, I have had this feeling since before I had the real estate job.  I love moving into a new house and better yet a new city.  There is so much to see and discover and it seems so exciting - for a few months anyway.  I need to figure out how to stay in the same place and be comfortable with that.  I read a book last summer called When Wanderer's Cease to Roam: A Traveler's Journal of Staying Put by Vivian Swift.  It's a beautiful book with the author's drawings and paintings.  She makes staying put seem so nice. 

I'm sure our never ending house projects contribute to the restlessness somewhat.  We have been working on making our laundry room more functional and it seems like it has taken forever.  The house is dustier than normal and the dirty clothes are piling up.  Soon, it will be finished and functional and fun....I hope. 

Logan and I had a chilly walk this morning.  It took ages for me to warm up afterwards.  We left late this morning and had to book it to school.  He just barely made it in time.  He led the conversations today and started out talking about lying.  He said his teacher talked to the class last week about lying and how it really only hurts the person who is lying.  She told them she has known most of them since first grade and some even in kindergarten so why would they think she wouldn't know them well enough to know when they are lying.  I told Logan again (I've been telling our children the same thing for years) that lying even once can really hurt your loved one's ability to trust you.  We talked about what it means to have integrity and that it is so much easier to live that way.  His teacher also said it is much easier to die at the end of your life knowing you haven't lied to people so then Logan wanted to talk about heaven and hell.  It was so interesting to let Logan lead this conversation.  He wondered if there really is a hell and I told him that I thought hell for me would be living a life of treating people badly and not having integrity. 

Tomorrow on my walk I am going to focus on the blessings in my life (like having a spiritual son) and in staying put.  Or moving if I find the perfect house - I know it's out there:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment