Friday, March 18, 2011

Day 9 - 356 Days to go

It was a gorgeous day for a walk.  The kids had a half day so I parked at my mom's nursing home (6 blocks from the school) and walked to pick them up.  We walked slowly back to the nursing home together enjoying the sun and talking about our mornings.  After a nice visit with Grandma, we went home and had a picnic on a blanket in the back yard (Abby's brilliant idea).  Our picnic included chicken salad, Gruyere cheese, a baguette, an orange, an apple, and a piece of dark chocolate with cherries and almonds for dessert.  Yummy.

Today I got so busy staying put, I almost forgot to blog (I was only distracted by two houses today).  I wandered around the Container Store this morning looking for things for the laundry room (which may be done this week...) and our dressing room.  Tonight Greg and I came up with a solution for a folding table/sewing area from things we already have.  I'll post pictures of the before and after if/when it is complete.   My favorite way to decorate is to look around the house and figure out things we have that can be used in a different way.

Speaking of different uses for furniture...I have a trunk that my Grandpa Dumont made for me from scrap lumber he found in an alley.  He was the ultimate recycler building furniture and sheds from found objects.  My mom turned one of the sheds into a summer cottage where she stayed when she visited.  I have used the trunk for lots of things, but its current use is our household filing cabinet.  I needed another piece of furniture for the office that I could use for my client files, storage, etc. so I went out searching this week for something interesting.  A filing cabinet just seemed too boring.  I went to Garage Antiques on 8th Avenue and saw an old lingerie cabinet for a great price.  It has a sliding door with little cubbies and 4 small drawers below.  Perfect for completed transactions that I may need to access, current transactions, and office supplies.  Anyway, the funniest part is when the owner went out to my car to measure to make sure I could fit the cabinet.  She saw two pictures that I was taking to the thrift store and offered me $30 for them.   What a great way to shop:-)

1 comment:

  1. I missed reading your blog yesterday, but caught up today. I can't believe how much better the world looks after a week of blogging.

    Yours are so fun to read. You remind me to look at the physical world. I need that reminder, and often.

    Again, I am so grateful for the inspiration.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete