Saturday, March 26, 2011

Day 17 - 348 Days to go

Coalie and I walked early this morning as the sun was coming up.  We wandered through the main street which is on 6th St. and looked in the shop windows.  I stopped to see the miniature ice skaters in the International Shoppe window.  I checked out the new window display in Buckskin clothing store. They get so much sun in their tall windows that they change the displays every other day.  I walked by the old jail that used to house man and beast.  Another loop around the Georgetown community school and then back to the house to have breakfast and run comps. 

Later in the afternoon, we all walked to End of the Line for the best chocolate malt and soda's.  The kids went to the park and Greg and I went to the International Shoppe where I have my eye on a cuckoo clock.  They sell the clocks that are handmade from the Black Forest.  I have been wanting to see them on the hour so we waited for a bit to see three clocks chime.  One of the clocks has a man who slams his beer on a table as the bird cuckoos.  The second one has a man chopping wood in front of a charming cottage (I like this because it makes me think of our Georgetown house and Greg chopping wood).  The third has a water wheel that goes round and dancers that circle with music playing after the bird comes out(the fanciest and most expensive).  Cuckoo clocks remind me of being at my Nana's house. Being at Nana's was always the best thing in the world.  I felt happy and cherished.  At night when I would wake up, I would wait to hear the clock so I would know what time it was.  My dad brought the clock back from his time in Korea and my Nana would talk about that with me.  I spent hours sitting on a kitchen stool watching my beautiful classy Nana make amazing things for us to eat and listen to her voice.  Now that Nana is gone, I cherish my time with my aunts and cousins even more.  It's like getting to feel a piece of Nana with each one. Maybe it's the shared feeling we all have for Nana - that she was simply the best.

This evening we walked back to town for dinner at the Raven Hill.  It was warm and cozy in there tonight. Jerry Barlow, a musician, played celtic guitar.  It felt like we were in a pub in England.  This was a first for us - the kids sat at their own table.   We might not be on a romantic retreat for our anniversary this weekend, but we had a nice quiet dinner, we enjoyed great music, and we watched the kids enjoy the music and their own table. 

No comments:

Post a Comment